Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Maui officials search for wildfire victims in ocean as land search ends -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Maui officials search for wildfire victims in ocean as land search ends
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 02:37:30
The Burley Garciasearch on land for further victims of the deadly wildfires in Maui is essentially complete, officials told reporters Monday, according to Honolulu ABC affiliate KITV, as crews move to the water in search of possible remaining victims.
Officials say they don't expect the death toll to rise much higher in the final stages of the search, despite a list of 388 individuals who are unaccounted for, which was posted on Aug. 24.
So far, 115 people have been declared dead from the fire, of which 45 have been identified.
Maui County officials say as of Aug. 28 that Lahaina fire remains 90% contained, affecting an estimated 2,170 acres. The Olinda fire, affecting an estimated 1,081 acres, is 85% contained, while the Kula fire is 90% contained, affecting an estimated 202 acres. The Maui Fire Department states that though efforts continue to completely extinguish the fires, there are no active threats among them.
The deadly wildfires erupted on the Hawaiian island of Maui on Aug. 8 and have become the deadliest natural disaster in state history, officials said.
The blazes spread rapidly amid dry conditions from the ongoing drought there and powerful winds. The inferno burned thousands of residential and commercial buildings to the ground.
MORE: Search for Maui's missing grows dire, as officials and families scramble for answers
There were 12,000 people living in Lahaina at the time of the fires, according to local authorities. Hawaii Gov. Josh Green has said roughly 6,000 people have been displaced, as officials turn their attention to long-term solutions for housing.
MORE: Remembering Lahaina: Family loses ancestral home in the Maui wildfires
There is not yet a plan to allow residents to return to the disaster area in Lahaina. It is currently restricted to authorized personnel only, according to Maui County officials, since the site may contain dangers such as "ash that may contain toxic, cancer-causing chemicals with debris including broken glass, exposed electrical wires, and other objects."
"It takes about six months to a year to clear the debris from an event this size," a FEMA representative told reporters at a press conference in Maui Monday. "So this will take some time. It has to be done appropriately, safely, culturally, respectfully, in a dignified way."
veryGood! (4137)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Messi the mega influencer: Brands love his 500 million followers and down-to-earth persona
- Report and letter signed by ‘Opie’ attract auction interest ahead of Oscars
- 2 women drove a man’s body to a bank to withdraw his money, Ohio police say
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- New Jersey police officer wounded and man killed in exchange of gunfire, authorities say
- 2024 starting pitcher rankings: Spencer Strider, Gerrit Cole rule the mound
- Margot Robbie Trades Barbie Pink for Shimmering Black at the 2024 Oscars
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Ariana Grande Channels Glinda in Wickedly Good Look at the 2024 Oscars
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Coast Guard investigates oil spill spotted in California off Huntington Beach's coast
- Families still hope to meet with Biden as first National Hostage Day flag is raised
- More than 63,000 infant swings recalled due to suffocation risk
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Can Carbon Offsets Save a Fragile Band of Belize’s Tropical Rainforest?
- Eagles 6-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Fletcher Cox announces his retirement after 12 seasons
- Chris Evans and His Leading Lady Alba Baptista Match Styles at Pre-Oscars Party
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Sly Stallone, Megan Fox and 'Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey' score 2024 Razzie Awards
New Jersey infant killed, parents injured in apparent attack by family dog, police say
See the Flamin' Hot Cast of Desperate Housewives Then and Now
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Officer fired after man’s 2021 death following stun gun use ordered reinstated by arbitrator
Report and letter signed by ‘Opie’ attract auction interest ahead of Oscars
70-foot sperm whale beached off Florida’s Gulf Coast